Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Hurrah! To MUM and MIL


“Beware the Ides of March”- “The Ides of March” are here.

It’s not mid-march, as in Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar” but the eighth of March that we talk about here. Beware! It’s International Women’s Day again. 8th March is universally declared as International Women’s Day. A day to celebrate Women? Thank you!! The world celebrates a day while we women, celebrate our womanhood every day.
Women’s Empowerment”- is a phrase that catches on like a house on fire as 8th March draws near. “Women’s Empowerment” or “Empowered Women” or any permutation and combination of these 2 words stare at you from all sources of print and electronic media. Social media is also taken over by this storm of empowering women!
This year too is no different.  2 recent events made me really take notice of this wonderful phrase. First, an event being organised by a Community Ladies Organisation which plans to honour “Empowered Women” within the said community. Awards will be given out to few chosen women who’ve excelled in their chosen profession be it education, medicine, fashion, catering, sports, etc... Another, is a play I watched last night which had the theme, u guessed correctly- “Women’s Empowerment”. It named great women like Mother Teresa, Madame Curie, Hellen Keller, Lata Mangeshkar, Rani Laxmibai and many more as the great “Empowered Women” of our Century.

A question begins to arise in my curious head- What do we mean by women’s empowerment? When women were given the right to vote- that empowered women. Equal opportunities to education and welfare- that empowers women.  However, exactly what is an “Empowered Woman”? Is she, only someone who has a flourishing career or a business? Am I, a homemaker, a mother of two not empowered? I, think I am because I made a choice to give up my career to raise my kids on my own- with little family and little of paid help! So did my Mom- who didn’t have as much help as I do today… So do millions of other Indian women. Educated, financially independent, modern women make the choice to give up careers and take care of their homes and family. They devote their time and energy into raising kids, managing homes and keeping their families stable. 
This article is an ode to these women without whom the men and women who go out and get awards would not be able to.

So, do I write this because I want an award? Of course! Who doesn’t like awards?  But, honestly– I write this to just appreciate these invaluable housewives who form the backbone of our society.

The homemaker wife is around in the morning when the husband needs his breakfast quickly before he rushes out- to attend his important meeting/catch the flight or make that killer deal. Mom is around when the kids come back tired from school and find a clean and happy home waiting for them as they fling their bags on the floor and sprawl in front of the tv -before rushing out for evening tuitions. The homemaker mother- in- law is there when her daughter- in- law needs to put in that extra hour at work and calls requesting mummyji to please pick up Sonu from the school bus stop and bring him home. It is these housewives who support and help us achieve our goals and ambitions. These unsung heroes are indeed empowered, as they provide a generation of doctors, engineers, sports stars and business leaders etc. to the world.

This is an ode to my Mom, the most empowered woman I knew. In spite of her hard earned Master’s Degree in Botany, she chose to dedicate her life to raising her family. Her sacrifices were unnoticed... Her labours not counted… her hours unpaid. She helped me become what I am today. She took care of every need and desire of mine while I studied, chose a profession, pursued different social interests and married the man of my dreams.
It’s also an ode to my mother- in- law, who was there supporting me in my fight against infertility. She took care of our home and even weary clients at the store while I was advised rest and care- which she provided.  To these two women I’d like to say “Thank You”. You are my beacons of strength and inspiration.

Let’s this Women’s Day say thank you to all these Empowered Housewives. Our Mums and Mums –In -Law- each, with her own strength and unique quality of EMPOWERMENT. If not awards we can give them a heartfelt applause! Hurrah! To MUM and MIL- In one breath!

8 comments:

  1. Good one, each woman no matter her post, qualifications --- needs to be appreciated 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written meeta. True too tat house wives r taken for granted n today's generation of girls too look down upon being house wives. It's like a constant fight with men to be equal n in that process don't realise their potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwwwww great work meeta.what a fantastic way of penning it down.truly inspiring words for many.looking forward to reading many more articles from u.👏👏👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  4. UnknownMarch 5, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    Wowwwwwww great work meeta.what a fantastic way of penning it down.truly inspiring words for many.looking forward to reading many more articles from u.👏👏👏👏👏 poonam kapoor cbe

    ReplyDelete

CELEBRATIONS AND SUSHI

  CELEBRATIONS AND SUSHI When you meet friends whom you’ve known for OVER 20 years and more, you kind of start from where you left off. Ther...